I first want to thank all the patrons who supported us (and joined this email newsletter!) at the recent Night Market/Cahabazaar at Cahaba Brewing Company. It was our most successful market to-date and that is because of you all. We greatly appreciate all the support and adore each and every one of you. Thank you so much! As promised, we randomly selected a patron for a free candle giveaway. Congratulations, Liz Coirier! We'll contact you directly to find out what scent and size candle you want and we'll get that over to you ASAP.
As we wind down the 2022 Summer season, and get ready for our 2022 Fall offerings, we're currently running our biggest ever sale - 40% OFF select candles. This is our biggest ever sale and we're super excited about it! This will give us an opportunity to clear out some inventory while also allowing you to get some of your favorites at a deep, deep discount before they are phased out for the remainder of the year. No code required, discount automatically applied at discount. So head to the shop now, and load up the shopping cart! This sale won't last forever. The following candles are included in this sale:
- Bon Temps
- Triple Crown
- Pocket Full of Posies
I also want to key everyone onto the fact that we relaunched one of our core offerings - IT MEANS MORE! This candle is a tribute to fall Saturdays in the South. Meant to be reminiscent of a whiskey sour in a crowded college town bar, It Means More will surely have you 1st and Goal, ready to put 6 on the board. Head to the site to get yours today (excluded from automatic discount).
What I'm reading - The Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber by Ernest Hemingway. This is a really great short story by "Papa" that everyone should read. I've read a ton of Hemingway over the years but somehow just stumbled upon this gem. Not long at all, but packs a ton into just a few pages, as Hemingway typically does. Highly recommend.
What I'm reading Part II - The Falling Man by Tom Junod. I first read this years ago and revisit it each and every 9/11. I'm sure you've seen the image for which the piece is written. Its haunting, disturbing, though-provoking, etc. I genuinely don't think any writer in America could've done a better job summarizing the thoughts/emotions/happenings associated with the situation better than Junod. Must reading this year and every year.
What I'm watching - Friday Night LIghts on Netflix. One of my all time favorite shows. I watched it way back in 2010 - 2011 and loved it then. I finally convinced my wife to watch it and I think she's sort of enjoying it? IDK, jury is still out on that one. Regardless, Texas Forever. Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose.
What I'm burning - Clotho. This candle keeps growing on me. I've always loved the scent and it makes me nostalgic for those early days when we brought our second baby girl, Esther, home from the hospital. But the more I burn it, the more I notice the base notes of cedar and rose. It's truly delightful and very elegant. It's the perfect candle for a bathroom or mudroom. Get yours today before they're gone forever! *For the uninitiated, our small batches are made in limited quantities and they are single-run releases. Once they're sold out, we'll never make it again.
What I'm listening to - TVA by Jason Isbell. I'm a massive Jason Isbell fan and have been for the last 8 years or so. He's the best songwriter going in my humble opinion and its not particularly close. Each of his releases since Southeastern are top 10 albums for me. That said, TVA is a song he wrote when he was with the Drive By Truckers. I didn't actually hear it until 2ish years ago. It's a classic southern ballad that is sure to strike a cord with almost everyone.
What I'm thinking about - our upcoming Fall releases. Fall and Winter are like the super bowl for candle makers. These seasons are when people are indoors the most and can enjoy candles more frequently. These seasons are also super nostalgic for most and the fragrances in our candles help transport folks back to a simpler time. We're releasing the Fall lineup next week and we couldn't be more thrilled about it. Stay tuned next week for the official launch but here is a small teaser for each:
- Golden Hour (September Small Batch) - named for the later afternoon hour in which the sunlight creeps towards the horizon and puts a polish on all around us, this fragrance is very calming. Sage, eucalyptus, wood, and berries. Very similar to Bath and Body Works "Sweater Weather".
- PSL - A crowd favorite, especially for the coffee lovers. Pumpkin Spice Latte filled with pumpkin, cinnamon, clove, nutmeg, allspice, coffee and so much more.
- Matzek Drive - named for the street my great aunt Jo lived on where we spent so many great Thanksgivings, this smells like warm apple and mulling spices with a touch of citrus and nuts. A real treat.
- Santal (to be released late September)- this will be the first of our luxury offerings. This will only be available in two sizes (9oz and 5oz). This is a truly remarkable blend of high-end and unique fragrances. Fennel, Cardamom, Ginger, Lavender, Amber, and Sandalwood. I'm certain you'll love it.
- Hocus Pocus (to be released late September)- this will be our October small batch. Filled with incense, oud, frankincense, and myrrh, this candle is meant to conjure thoughts of a seance. Fitting, since its about to be #spookyszn
As always, if you have any questions, feel free to reach out to us at email@example.com, or via any of our social media channels. Also, for any local Birmingham folks, we offer local pickup in Crestwood so we can meet all of your candle needs at a moment's notice. Hit us up!
-Seth, City Candle Co.